Tuesday, May 24, 2011

While I Wait Until You Come Home

In his mind:
There she is again, laughing her heart out with her friends. Isn't she aware that her smile is contagious? I take a glimpse of her once in a while and I hide my smile withall my might. I was just pretending I was sketching something but I wassurprised to see her face on my pad. Shoot.You caught me staring.

In her mind:
There he isagain. Sulking at one corner of the room, sketching something God only knowswhat. And there! You just give me one little shy glance. Am I supposed to be happy with that? We used to be friends,but you shied away, without even a single explanation of your rude behavior. I laugh my heart out, but I really am not. My heart is somewhere else.

~

In his mind:
You know I hate this subject, which you are excellent at. You used to tell me I should justgive it a try, try more problems but my ability in Math is my problem. A problem doesn't take you even a minute. A single problem takes me a day.

In her mind:
Math again. Don't you know you inspired me to be good in this? Your skills in drawing got methinking I should have something I could call my own forte, so I spent nights solving these problems. Are you having a hard time? I saw you scratch your head.

~

In his mind:
I finished this presentation of our pictures. I have pictures of us since we were young till the day I,well, started to feel this funny feeling. I wanted to send this to your phone but I guess your device is turned off. I thought your friend was sending you something a while ago. Well, maybe next time. If I have a chance.

In her mind:
What is it you're up to this time? If not a sketch pad, you have your hands busy with a laptop. Luckily my friend sent me our favorite song a while ago so I have something to keep me busy. Haven't you heard me say the title? I guess you didn't. You're busy. You always are.

~

In his mind:
We're graduating in a couple of days. I know I should approach you before that happens. But I'm afraid I might scare you away. I always do. Remember that day when I gave you the white mice when we were nine? That was supposed to be us. But you cried when you saw them. You were mad at me for days. I felt so guilty I gave them to our neighbor, Mike.

In her mind:
I guess you really are mad at me. Graduation day's coming and you still haven't talked to me. Now I know how bad you felt when I cried when you gave me the mice. I didn't intend to cry but I didn't know their eyes were red! I freaked out. Sorry for that. Sorry for everything.

~

In his mind:
Okay. This is my last chance to talk to you. I heard you were studying in another place. You were accepted in two universities. I'm so happy for you.

In her mind:
Happy Graduation Day to you. I wanted to talk to you but I'm scared you'd turn your back on me.Who is this behind my back?

Him:  "Hey." I hope my smile's not fake.
Her:   "Oh. Hi." Please please cheeks. Don't give me away.
Him:  "Congratulations." Why the heck did I extend my hand?
Her:   "Uhh. Same to you." I remember our first hand shake.
Him:  "Hmm. Sorry." I sound so lame.
Her:   "For what?" Whatever happened to my anger?
Him:  "For the cold treatment? Yeah. That." Dumb dumb dumb.
Her:   "Oh. Okay." Don't I have something more consoling to say?
Him:  "Congratulations for the admission." I hope I sounded as happy as I felt.
Her:   "Thanks. Where do you plan to study?" Wasn't I supposed to ask how did he know my admission?
Him:  "Just here, in the community college." I wish I could study with you.
Her:   "Oh." Don'tworry, I'll come home often.
Him:  "Well. Guess I better go. Can I call you later?" Please please.
Her:   "Sure." What took you so long to say that?
Him:  "Take care." So I won't have to worry while I wait.
Her:   "You too." Until I come home.
-MVJLO 08.22.2010

No comments:

Post a Comment