Tuesday, May 24, 2011

One More Pew

"Go in peace to love and serve the Lord."
"Thanks be to God."
Tommy elbowed my arm. "Wait for me here."
"Where are you going?" Absentmindedly, I made another sign of the cross. Two signs of the cross for the final blessing? Uhh. That was new.

The lady whom I recognized as the commentator for the Mass stood at the podium again.
"Before we leave this place, our brother in Christ by the name of Tommy Jiare would like to give a short message."
I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Since when did Tommy become a clergyman? He has been hiding secrets from me lately. He doesn't inform me where he goes after work, and returns my calls an hour late. What is going on?

He stood at the podium. He cleared his throat.
"I would like to take this opportunity to share to you one gift I personally received from God." I didn't know how good he was at public speaking. He also looked good as he stoo there. I was reminded how lucky I am to have him.

"On this very church about five years ago, I sat at that last pew crying." He pointed to the last pew which was now empty.
"On that day, I lost my mom and my sister in a car accident. A week before that, my grandma died of colon cancer. And a day after, we were to have the first death anniversary of my aunt who committed suicide when she was in the mental hospital. I was starting to think that God was taking away every female member of our family." The people started taking their seats again. What was he up to?

"But on that same day, God answered my prayer. Someone shared the pew with me. Little did I know that I will not only share the pew with her, but also my fears, joys, sorrows, secrets, dreams and eventually my life."

What was he up to? I asked myself again as if repeating it would give me the answer.

"So in front of you my brothers and sisters I would ask from her a little favor."
I looked around and saw that he still got everyone's attention. I got up and grabbed his arm to lead him away from the podium but he refused to move. His eyes were still on his audience. I didn't know what to do. I sat reluctantly on the chair near the podium, my back on the audience.

"I would like to ask her one more favor." He continued.
Then for the first time since the giving of the sign of peace, he turned toward me and looked at me straight in the eye.
"Would you share one more pew with me?"
I was really confused now. What was he planning to do?

"Come on Tommy. That's enough."I sounded angrier than I felt.
"Please Andy. Just answer the question."
"WHAT PEW?" Exasperation almost overpowering me.
"The pew they place there" he pointed to an area in front of the altar "when a guy wears his best suit with the girl of his dreams in a long white gown to present to our Father God." He grinned broadly.
My voice seemed to be in someplace else. I couldn't speak.

"Well?" A man in the front row asked me expectantly. I hit Tommy hard.
"Ow!" He suddenly looked like a little boy again.
"OF COURSE!"
I dragged him out of the church. Luckily he obeyed this time.

"Okay. You caught me off guard." I admitted as we walked toward his car.
"I know." He grinned proudly.
I tried to punch him again but he caught my fist.
"Not this time." He smiled, still proud of himself. I rolled my eyes. I pulled my hand back but he wouldn't let go.
"Maybe you're forgetting it's my hand."
" I know. Let me borrow it for a while. It needs to wear it's safety gear now."
He reached for his pocket and got out a ring and put it on my left ring finger.
"Safety gear?" I repeated, waiting for an answer.
"So I can make sure that even though how many guys would sit beside you in the pew" there's the pew again  I thought.
"Uhh. How many is 'many guys'?" I manage to interrupt.
"Many until there's no room left for me in the pew. You would still wait ----"
"You mean you would make me wait?"
"Would you let me finish or what?" He spat.
"Okay." I felt like a child when he scolds me.
"As I was saying, you would still wait for me until I arrive."
I mouthed "tardy!"
He raised a brow.
I lowered my gaze, defeated.
"And when I do" he raised my chin so I was looking at him again, "I would take your hand and we'd stand behind the last pew so that we could face God together, side by side, hand in hand."

MVJLO 08.10.2010

No comments:

Post a Comment