Friday, June 3, 2011

How my idols influence me

I was thinking of a new story to post here but I came up short so I opted to re-post something I've done for my Tumblr. This is my Day 07 entry for the 25-day challenge. 


Jayjay Helterbrand. I was a high school freshman when I first saw him play on tv. My Ninong was watching the game, and I was reading a book. He forced me to join him in watching, and I really had no other choice. I joined him, and I saw the player wearing the number thirteen. I saw how good he was at the court, and how confident he moved. From then on, I became a fan of him. Until now. I came to appreciate the sport basketball because of him. Now I watch basketball games partly because of the players, and partly because of the game itself.

Paul Anthony Artadi. When the Ginebra team visited GenSan last November 09, 2007, (I was in fourth year high school then) I got the chance to see JayJay in person, but he wasn’t that approachable. I really wasn’t a fan of Paul, but one of my friends was. She was all giddy when she saw Paul. She didn’t notice that Paul was already climbing the bus and she literally called out his name to get his attention. He heard her and we both shouted “pa-picture!” to him. He gladly retraced his steps and approached us seconds later. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and after the photo was taken, he gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze before saying thank you and rushing off to the bus again. Because of his humble attitude, I realized that I should never deprive anyone of a simple act of kindness because that could mean so much to the receiver.

Christopher John Tiu. I first saw him in a magazine. He was still a college student then, in Ateneo. His fame wasn’t a surprise, his good looks were enough to set him apart from the other players. But that’s what I thought. Not only is he good-looking, but he plays well and is in fact the captain of his current and Philippine team, Smart-Gilas Pilipinas; he did well in school too, since he graduated with a Master’s Degree (as far as I can recall, yea); he is a young entrepeneur too, proven by his numerous business engagements; and he is an advocate for worthwhile stuffs. He is also a gentleman, since he sees to it that his relationship with his girlfriend would be kept private as possible. He made me realize that one could aspire for more, and could actually acheive it with proper amount of determination, perseverance, humility and faith.

SHINee, SNSD (Girls Generation), f(x). They made me realize that being and staying in a group isn’t that hard. Also, they inspire me to sing and dance to life’s struggles even though it seems hard to actually do them at the same time. With proper practice and right attitude, you can pull through.

WongFu Productions (Philip Wang, Wesley Chan, Ted Fu). They’re my most recent addiction, together with the other youtubers namely KevJumba (Kevin Wu), Cathy Nguyen, Arden Cho, Ryan Higa, David Choi, Chris Dinh, Kina Grannis, Gabe Bondoc, and all those yet to discover (and those I forgot). These three men inspire me to go see the world and not be intimidated. They were Asians raised the American way, but they’re still nice guys just like any typical Asian is. They inspire me to be the best I can be, and actually enjoy while I’m reaching for it. They make me want to treat experiences in life like a movie. As much as I’d want to skip the unnecessary parts, I can’t, for if not for those parts, the final piece wouldn’t be as good. They make me want to capture how beautiful life is. And most of all, they make me want to take part in their motto as a group: If there’s someone out there who had a good day because of our work, then we know we’ve succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment