Sunday, May 20, 2012

OUR DAY


“You know, if I didn’t have a girlfriend, I’m sure we’d end up together.”
Break up with your girlfriend then, you jerk.
“Really?” I responded, eyeing him dismissively.
He shrugged.
Jerk.
I smiled at him and he smiled back. Good thing he can’t get through my mind. The wonders of life.
“So, where we headed?”
I scanned the almost empty restaurant, considering his question. It was a Friday, and ever since college, it was our day. We were mere schoolmates, until one fine day in our college lives, we got seated next to each other in a school organization meeting. I guess since then, we were inseparable.  In a friendly way, that is. The jerk has a girlfriend. And I am forever alone. (A tumblr joke. Ooops)
“Dunno. It’s your turn to decide,” I peered at him and our gazes locked.
He looked away and was immediately lost in thought. Just as I was about to fish out a mirror from my bag, I saw someone approach us in the corner of my eye.
“Hey!”
It was Marc, one of our schoolmates.
“Hi!” Cole returned his enthusiasm equally. Mr. Congeniality alright.
“How you doing, Cole? Alexis?”
He really loves my full name.
“Fine, Marcus,” I smiled sweetly. Cole kicked my foot under the table. I almost grimaced. My eyes shot at him and he grinned at Marc who now had his eyes on him.
“I knew you two would end up together! See how you’re starting a new life in this far off town,” he chirped happily, and gestured our non-existent relationship with his hands. Well, good old awkward Marc.
“No Marc, you got it wrong---” Cole started.
“Yea. We’re still friends,” the words were out of my mouth before I could stop them. “I mean, we’re just friends.”
I didn’t dare take my eyes off of Marc. Cole would only prove the slip true if I looked in his eyes. Me and my big mouth.
To my surprise, Marc’s shoulders sagged. “That’s sad.” With that, he turned and walked away without even saying goodbye.
“Did he just say ‘sad’?”
I shrugged.
~
“Marc, what are we doing here? And why is the whole college packed in this pub too?” I glared at my awkward schoolmate as he fidgeted his phone beside me. It was exactly two weeks since Cole and I saw him at the restaurant.
For some reason, he was able to pool this many people from our college. It was like a homecoming. And I realized most were from our school organization. It took a good thirty minutes to actually greet everyone. We were in a restaurant just by the outskirts of town, which was understandable since most of the people still resided at our hometown which was at least two hours away. Cole and I decided that we would take our chances at this new place just after graduating from college since we were both feeling elated with our newfound freedom.
“It’s a sap-rise,” Marc almost drooled as he said the word, beaming widely.
It took all I had not to grimace at him. He was just so weird. “Okay,” I nodded and turned to find someone to talk to.
Just then, the door to the pub swung open and I saw Cole’s familiar hairstyle over the people crowded by the door.
“Hey!” I saw Marc shove his way toward Cole. Only then did I realize that Cole wasn’t alone.
He was towing his girlfriend behind him.
Marc greeted the couple and I scurried away deeper into the crowd. It was just so awkward when they were together. For me, at least. As far as I’ve noticed, they’re not the least bit uncomfortable when I’m around.
Especially Cole. The jerk.
I found a friend in the crowd and I pretended to have genuine interest in him. He had no idea that I was just doing small talk since he kinda enjoyed talking about his business which was a funeral house, by the way. I shuddered inwardly, silently hoping that he would change the topic.
“There you are, Alexis!”
Oh great.
Reluctantly, I slowly turned to face Marc. “Hey,” I greeted, discomfited.
At least I didn’t have to deal with all the funeral thingy, right? Yea. Think of it that way, Alex. Better deal with Cole and Claudia. Wait. I’d go with the funeral thingy instead.
“ALEX!” Cole almost hugged the life out of me.
“Hi,” I muttered, obviously out of air.
“Hi Alex,” Claudia greeted as Cole pulled away. I smiled and rubbed my chest before returning her hi.
“Since we’re all here, we could get things going,” Marc said to us three. For the first time, I was thankful for his presence. Without him, I wouldn’t be able to say anything to the couple.
He led us to a table. “Be seated.” His tone suggested that he was about to go someplace else. What did I say about being thankful for his presence again? I totally take that back.
When we took our seats, he hurried away from us. Gees. Thanks for leaving me here, Marc.
I didn’t dare look at the couple. Claudia was a nice girl, but I just couldn’t disregard the times when I noticed her frowns whenever Cole and I would interact. I mean, I couldn’t exactly blame her since she did have something to look out after all.
“Excuse me,” Marc was at the small stage in front now.
I shifted in my seat partly so I could look at him and mostly to turn my back on the couple.
“I would like to thank you all for coming to my party tonight.”
“I thought this was a homecoming? Look at the lot. Only the teachers aren’t here,” I heard Cole joke to Claudia. Despite the noisy environment, I held out an ear to listen to any reaction she might have to Cole’s joke. But there was none. See that. What kind of girlfriend would do that? At least you could chuckle, right? Okay, I’m ranting.
“I wanted you all to know about the important announcement I have to make.”
I raised my eyebrows. What announcement would that be? He’s opening a business? Getting a new car? Getting promoted? Getting a new dog?
I smirked at the last thought and at the corner of my eye, I saw Cole smile at my reaction.
“I’m getting…”
I grinned evilly.
“A new dog,” I heard Cole supply and I turned just in time that he erupted in laughter. I cupped my mouth to muffle the sound of mine. My peripheral vision reported a serious-looking Claudia.
“Married.”
At the sound of his voice, Cole and I stopped laughing at once. Was he serious?
“Cole...”
My head turned immediately toward Claudia.
“What?” Cole asked her.
“Who’s the lucky girl?” I head someone from the crowd call out to Marc.
“To my future bride, please stand up.”
There was complete silence in the pub as the people anticipated any movement. Then after a few seconds, Claudia stood up.
“Cloud? What’s happening?” Cole asked his girlfriend.
“I’m sorry. I tried to tell you but I chicken out every time.”
I looked intently at Cole. At the back of my mind, I somehow wished that they would break up but not like this. He doesn’t deserve to be dumped. Especially over someone like Marc.
His expression was sad. But it didn’t stay like that for long. I glanced at Claudia and realized that she smiled at his reaction too.
“I don’t deserve you, Cole. We both know that someone else does,” and with a gentle look in her eyes I’ve never seen before, she looked at me.
I returned her look with a quizzical one.
“I’ve always felt that he’s never been mine, Lex. You own him. Right from the start.”
I couldn’t form a word. Was this really happening?
“C’mere Cloud,” Marc said on the microphone and with one last smile at Cole, she left our table and trudged toward the stage.
And with the whole crowd watching attentively, Marc bent his knee and asked the magical question every girl longs to hear.
~
“Where to?”
Cole asked as he took a bite of the burger I held up for him.
“Dunno. You take the pick.”
“Hmm. I’m up for a movie.”
“Just as I was hoping you’d say,” I smiled.
Then we both looked at each other at the exact same second. “At home,” we said simultaneously.
He ruffled my hair and wrapped his arm around my shoulder as we started toward his car. It was Monday. And since Marc’s announcement, every day was our day.

MVJLO 01.27.12

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Ha! I just enjoyed writing this one. So random. Haha :D Well, maybe this is what I get after watching a good movie. *ehemleapyearehem* 

No comments:

Post a Comment