Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A.D.

“Do I really have to do this again?” I ask the woman in front of me.
“Yes. Just bear with me.” She almost pleaded.
I sigh heavily. “Okay.”

~

I flip the album open.

The first picture had a young me and a boy grinning with an ice cream on hand. He was still in school uniform but he looked just like my age. Not that I was bragging, but I looked young for my age then. I remember him. How could I not? He was Tommy. That kid who courted me just after I graduated from college. He said he wanted to do that ever since he saw me, but was too afraid to do so. I believed him, so I promised him I would give him a chance only after he graduated.

I turn the page.

The second picture had me wearing an elegant green dress and Tommy beside me wearing his Toga as he held out his diploma out for the world to see. He had his hands full – one with his diploma and the other holding my hand.

I turn to the next page.

The next picture was one of my favorite. It was one of those shots he had taken that I was unaware of. He was smiling broadly as I held out his ice cream for him. “Our first date” was what he would fondly call it. I didn’t argue with the kid.

I turn to the next.

I hated this one. No, I take that back. I hate it, even up to this day.
He took this picture while I was waiting for the last bus trip. I thought he was already walking away but instead he was finding a good angle just behind my back. Then he tapped my shoulder and clicked the camera in time. So childish! He already refused to take me home and still had the nerve to make fun of me. I didn’t talk to him for exactly a month.

I flip the page.

This one was one of those stolen shots. We were on the bus, he dozed off on my shoulder and I was leaning against his head. Though he was a lot taller than me, our position was still comfortable. He had a big smile on his face as he made effort to take the picture with less movement possible.

I turn to the next page.

This one was different. I had a big smile on my face as he took the picture. It was the time when I finally made it official. He exerted great effort just to make me laugh and when I did, he swiftly clicked the camera. Unfair.

I turn to the next.

This one was interesting. I was laughing my heart out then he too was laughing. He just set the camera timer then we were both unaware of our expressions. He was supposed to be turning into ‘Mighty Tommy’ who would take all my exhaustion away when suddenly the coffee he was drinking spilled from his mouth as he made his speech. Disgusting cute little boy.

I turn to the next.

Our most ordinary picture. It had us smiling happily as we were walking down the park one afternoon. I couldn’t forget every time he faced me with that innocent smile that never failed to melt my heart. He was my cherubim on earth.

I turn to the next.

This picture was my favorite. I took the photo myself while he was frowning. I was busy with the laundry until late that afternoon that I couldn’t take his calls so he went over to our house and was frantically asking weird questions. Good thing he never blamed me. Nope. Not even once.

I turn to the next.

This picture was taken after we cried over my cat’s death. He went over to our house only to find me crying. He sat beside me, silently. And moments later he was crying too. He never asked me what was wrong. But he instead cried along. He was so cute. I took the camera even our eyes were still swelling with tears.

I flip the page.

The last picture. It had us smiling genuinely at the camera. It was the day he was assigned to another place. Both our jobs demanded so much from both of us, even our time together. I couldn’t forget how he said “You trust me right? I’ll be back soon.” As if five years seemed like only a few days. He was a boy all right. Childish as always.

I close the album.

~

“You remember him now?”
“Who?”
“Tommy.” The woman said impatiently.
“Of course!”
“Well. Do you know what happened to him?”
I couldn’t speak. Confusion was towering over me. What happened to him?
“He’s gone.”
Gone?


Then a little girl was suddenly on my lap smiling heartily.
“Hello.” I pat her hand gently out of instinct.
“Hi.” A man stood at the door.
“There you are. That’s Tommy!” I said proudly to the woman in front of me.
They both shook their heads almost at the same time.

Tommy walked over to me.
“Mom. It’s me, Tom. Your son.”
“Oh.” Was all I managed to say. I straightened my glasses and caught sight of the mirror a little to my right. It showed an old woman with gray hair.

I looked around the room and saw books of different sizes. Then I noticed the woman I was talking to was wearing a white coat. I returned my gaze to the shelves. I was trying to read the title of one book but the little girl kept nudging my hand.
“Grandma! Grandma!” I thought she called me. I couldn’t quite hear her because I had my mind fixed in making out the title of one large book on the shelf.

Then finally I stood up, stepped slowly toward the book about… Alzheimer’s Disease.

MVJLO 08.29.10

No comments:

Post a Comment