Wednesday, July 16, 2014

This

I was planning to write for weeks now, but just couldn’t find the feel. But now I just finished writing one article I needed for work and I guess I just struck while the hands were still hot. Or whatever.
This is really cute. I’m somehow glad I gave justice to the idea (or I’m just claiming it. HAHA) A few failed attempts and frustrated days/weeks later, here it is! :D

 “Here.”
I hand her a life-sized teddy bear that’s too cuddly for its own good.
She continues to stare at me as if she didn’t hear what I just said and didn’t see what I was holding. I blinked awkwardly, still standing there holding that bear in front of her.
I could hear the cars passing by.
And the birds.
And the students walking past us.
And practically, my hearbeat.
And I could feel the demolition of my already imperceptible self-esteem.
And yet she just continues to stare. I change tactics.
“Want some fries?”
She blinked. Now we’re talking.
“Okay.” She stands up, gathers her stuff and walks past me and the bear.
~
You see, this is the thing with Catherine. She’s eccentric. Like very eccentric. She is bubbly, outgoing, responsible, witty and smart. But she just wouldn’t entertain suitors. The reason? I would give anything to know.
“So how was your day?” She munched a handful of fries which, by the way, does NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT make her any less beautiful.
“Good.” I nodded, trying to emphasize how good it was since I was spending it with her. But obviously I wouldn’t say that out loud, or the staring game would start again.
She nodded too, her bright eyes smiling at me. “That’s good. But hey, we need to finish this early since I have stuff to do.”
She really knows how to dampen the mood, doesn’t she? “Sure.” I lied.
She stopped chewing, and gave me a blank look. Crap. She noticed. Like always.
“Logan. You know I can tell when you’re---“
“Lying, I know.” I finished for her.
Smiling at me apologetically, she continued eating. “You know we still have tomorrow.”
I liked the sound of that. Like it’s a promise. That we would always have tomorrow. Though I know that she was just consoling me. We sure have a tomorrow, but not together.
A few cheerful banters and chews later, we were set to go. I dropped her off at her place.
“Check out my blog tonight, okay?” she said before opening the door.
Yes. One of her stories to accompany me tonight. “Yea, sure.” I tried my best to hide my excitement.
~
After announcing my arrival to the people at home, I reviewed my homework and listed out what I should accomplish tonight. I was halfway the list when my phone beeped.
Stephen and Jo.
It was from Catherine. It’s been a private game for us to guess the book from which different characters come from. We would do it at random times of the day, or even at night before going to sleep. See how eccentric she is.
I typed back Invisibility.
A few minutes later, I heard a beep.
A and Rhiannon.
Everyday.
Colin and Lindsey.
An Abundance of Katherines.
Quentin and Margo.
Paper Towns.
Patch and Nora.
Hush Hush.
I could go on with her like this all night long. But one message caught me.
Chicken Soup.
I stared at my phone like crazy. Reluctantly, I typed back What?
After two palpitations, she replied Blog.
I almost forgot! Quickly, I logged on and checked her blog. At first I didn’t really notice there was a new post from her. But I looked closely and there it was, waiting for me to read it.
Before you proceed, when I ask Chicken Soup, you should reply No Thanks. So I’d know if you’ve found this post or not. So here’s what I have to say for tonight.
It’s really amazing how she presents her posts as if she’s just talking to you. It’s not too informal, and not too formal that’s it’s heavy on the eyes too.
10 Signs a guy likes you
      1.       He remembers the small details of your conversations.
My mind wandered back to the time when we were talking just outside the classroom door after dismissal. She was randomly sharing about her disappointment over her classmate’s cancellation on their group project meeting which cost their grade.
“It really annoys me when people don’t keep their promises.”
For a few more minutes, I just let her go on with her rant.
“Sorry, I’m holding you. You go home ahead, I still have stuff to do.” She turned on her heel and was on her way.
I was staring at her retreating figure and then something came to my mind. I hurriedly searched my bag and found the book she lent me. I ran out to her, a slightly scared expression on my face.
“I almost forgot. I promised to give this to you today. Don’t hate me please.”
Amused, she got the book and turned to go.

      2.       He messages you out of the blue
Okay. I admit. I was the one who started the guessing game thru text. But she still enjoyed it! (Too defensive for my self-esteem)

      3.       He makes an effort to get along with your family
“You know you shouldn’t do this.”
I hand her the flowers and continue to pick up the cakes. “But why not? Your twin brothers are cute.” I got ahead of her and opened the door to their house, forgetting that their whole clan was home for the holidays.
“Logan!” I had to say her mom had quick reflex, making it less awkward. Catherine emerged from behind me, diverting the attention of her relatives instead.

      4.       He includes you in his plans
“Where to?”
We just got out of the auditorium after two days of seminar.
She shrugged, obviously tired.
“I’ll drop you off at your place and I’ll catch some sleep myself.”
Nodding, she pinched her nose as she yawned.
“But let’s grab some good books tomorrow, okay?”
She gave me a blank look, still not liking the idea of bookshopping on a Sunday.
  
      5.       He is honest with you
“Where were you? Your mom told me you weren’t at Jason’s the other day.” She looked at me disapprovingly, not even bothering to hide it even the tiniest bit.
“I was at the bookstore.”
This earned a death glare.
“Okay I was eating.”
She raised her eyebrow.
“Fine. I was finding a gift for you on your birthday.”
“Then you could just have told your mom and not have her worry to death.”
Why could she tell when I’m lying?

       6.       He makes time for you and shows it
“Let’s go have ice cream!” She happily nudges me forward.
I grimaced.
“Why?”
“I have practice.”
“Oh.”
“But we could grab that ice cream later, though.”
“How long is practice?” She tilted her head a little to the side, obviously in thought.
“An hour and a half.”
She smiled. “Just the time I need for my essay. See you then!”
I couldn’t thank the ice cream enough.

      7.       He will let you take him shopping
“White or green?”
“They’re both good.” I told her truthfully.
She frowned. “Yea, I think so too.”

      8.       You are the first person he confides in when something happens
I threw the can of soda a little too harder than usual. The can clattered loudly against the bin.
“Hard day?”
So much for promising myself not to tell a single soul about what happened. She’s always at the right time and at the right place.
Turning to face her, I nodded.
“Want to talk about it?”

      9.       He gives you a life sized teddy bear
Wait, what?

      10.   Even if you didn’t receive the teddy bear, he still treats you out for fries
Now that’s creepy. Is this me?

My phone beeped from beside me.
Done?
Confused, I typed back Yes.
Want to know the only sign a girl likes a guy?
My hands were starting to shake uncontrollably. Is this really happening?
What?
A few excruciating minutes passed by. Then the beep sounded like music to my ears.
She lets you read this.
I realized I just had the best night of my life.


MVJLO 07.16.14

No comments:

Post a Comment